Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thank You M'am

Mr. Romero please grade me on my transitions and my voice.

“I wouldn’t take you no where with that dirty face.” The most important part of “Thank You M’am” by Langston Hughes are the characters. They really bring the story to reality, and cause you to relate to the characters.

The character Roger in the story “Thank You M’am” by Langston Hughes is a very misguided boy. He would risk his life just for society to accept him. Roger is a skinny teenage boy with nappy and a dirty face. He lives a life theft until he meets Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones. “ By the time I’m through with you, your going to remember Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones.”

Secondly there is Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones. She is a large woman with a large purse. She is very interesting to me because she reminds me of my grandmother. She’s going to help someone rather they like it or not. Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones took Roger to her house and gave him a life changing experience. She was like the mother that Roger needed in his life.

I fell in love with the characters when Roger and Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones sat down at the dinner table and had a heart to heart. Its like for a short time they are family. It is at the dinner table that Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones reveals she had somewhat of a bad past. “ I've done things that I am not going to tell you, I wouldn’t tell God if he didn’t already know.” They really relate to each other. Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones becomes the mother that Roger needed. And Roger became a lost boy that needed her to put him in the right direction.

To wrap things up the most important part of “Thank You M’am,” by Langston Hughes are the characters. They can be compared to everyday people, who go through everyday problems. They are very realistic, and down to earth. The characters show how a bad situation can turn into a life changing experience. You never know the person you bump into may change your life.

No comments: